“not constructive” and “not a real question” are replaced by:
- “unclear what you're asking”
- “too broad”
- “primarily opinion-based”
"too localized" will disappear.
“off-topic” can be refined with predefined sub-reasons. These sub-reasons can cover common motifs that are not obvious from the site name, or cases where we would formerly have used “too localized”. The expectation is that each site would define up to three reasons, and the reasons will be difficult to change once decided upon.
Closed questions will be labelled as “on hold” for 5 days, and “closed” afterwards.
For reference, since Gardening & Landscaping launched, we've had:
- 1 question closed as "too localized" (essentially a legal advice question)
- 19 questions closed as "off topic" (3 shopping, 4 legal advice, 4 about animals that just happen to be in a garden, 2 biology, 3 health advice, and 3 cross-posted to Home Improvement).
- 5 questions migrated to other sites (2 to Cooking and 1 each to Home Improvement, The Great Outdoors and Biology)
Given the above information, should we have off-topic reasons, and what should they be?