I think a new tag, "strimmer", should be added, at least as an alias for some other tag. It's a common British term for "String trimmer" or "Edge trimmer" or "Weed-whacker", and I have found myself wanting to tag my question with this on a couple of occasions.

  • Out of curiosity, do you know if "strimmer" is just a portmanteau of "string" and "trimmer", or if it was used as a brand name in Britain at one point? – Niall C. Apr 21 '14 at 17:13
  • Well, Wiktionary says both; it was used as a trademark, which was presumably a portmanteau of "string trimmer". Personally I think it's a more catchy word to use. ;-) – Jez Apr 21 '14 at 17:16

They seem to be mentioned widely enough to warrant a tag; the proper name for them seems to be string trimmer, with strimmer being one of the synonyms, so I'll create them and add the tag to your post (expect a couple of edits as I do it). Update: done!

I'll also go through and retag some older questions that could use the new tag.

  • Cheers for the update (though the 'proper' name in the UK is 'strimmer' :-P)! – Jez Apr 21 '14 at 17:13

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .