Gardening & Landscaping turned 1 last Friday (8 June 2012) — a big round of applause to everyone who participated in the site! I've talked to SE Inc. and they've agreed to sponsor a site promotional contest to celebrate this occasion. Prizes generally involve generic SE swag (tshirts, mugs, stickers, etc.) and some gardening specific items.
The focus of the contest will be on community participation, such as improving tag-wikis, editing posts, making suggested edits (if below the rep required), flagging stuff for moderator attention, etc. I think Super User's anniversary contest* would be a good model to base ours on.
This post is to get the community's input in some of the details:
- what contests should be held?
- how should the performance be judged in each of these categories?
- what are some possible prizes that can be awarded for different categories, etc.
Aarthi from the SE Community Team will be in The Garden Shed all day, as will the mods. Please drop by and discuss your ideas (and post them as answers here!) and feel free to ask her about anything regarding SE's involvement in this (and to check if a particular prize suggestion is reasonable).
We'll probably have the contest a week or two from now when the discussion here has matured and we have some concrete ideas to work with. Let's make this an awesome contest!
*I personally don't think that Apples vs. Peaches or Peppers vs. Tomatoes style showdowns that are standard on some sites work well here. These will only tend to splinter the community (since A stands to lose if they vote for B and vice versa) and make the distribution of questions very lopsided.
The following are some loose ideas to start off on (some based on the SU post I linked to)
- Best new user's performance for the duration of the contest (only those with accounts created in 2012 are eligible)
- Highest reputation for the duration of the contest
- Answering the unanswered — for the most number of answers to currently unanswered questions. Only answers rated +3 (or +2?) and above will be considered.
- Most helpful editor — this won't be based solely on number of edits, but the usefulness of edits
- Meta participation
- For the most useful tag-wikis
- Most upvoted question/answer during the contest
Also, I think that there should be some categories for continued participation (the regulars here are what keeps the site alive and active), in addition to participation during the contest.
Please suggest improvements to these or other possible ideas. When you suggest something, bear in mind that it should be something that everyone can participate in.